-
December 10th, 2004, 09:45 PM
#1
Inactive Member
I am new to the forum. I currently own Klipschorns but am very interested in the model 19s. I love the sound of horns over most other types. If anyone knows where I can find a pair other than ebay or audiogon for a reasonable price would you please let me know. My email is [email protected]. I also saw the eairlier post on comparison to Cornwalls and The Heresy. Has anyone compared the Klipschorn to the Model 19? If so I would like to hear your thoughts
-
December 10th, 2004, 10:07 PM
#2
Inactive Member
well ... i've had k-Horns, lotsa altecs, 'cept no 19's 'till now .. jbl's x 30, or so ....
to answer .. the k-h seems to have faster , tighter bass, tho with a quick roll off ... nice detail in the mids
i will compare to my Valencia's, as i haven't even wired my 19's ......
Bass .. altecs seem "looser" as well as deeper, with the impression that looser is also slower
mid bass ... no contest here .. altec blows away k-h with 10x more detail think pluck / attack on notes
mids ... the 811 horn has Huge impact in the mids, buries the k-h mid driver which seems kinda under damped
lookin' to get them 19's fired up this weekend !
i'm still in the market for some oak cased 19's ....
-
December 10th, 2004, 10:24 PM
#3
Inactive Member
don't forget .. you are comparing a horn loaded bass driver Vs. a direct radiator .... i guess , pick the sound you like .. the k-horn, tho will never exhibit the lower mid detail of the altec, just by the fact you are not listening directly to the driver, but to the horn
-
December 11th, 2004, 02:47 AM
#4
Inactive Member
I'm an original owner of a pair of Model 19 and JBL L300. Many years ago, my friend brought his Klipshorns over for a 3 way speaker shootout. It was amazing how 3 high quality speakers sounded so much different. I thought the JBL had the tightest sound, the Altec: most open and the Klipshhorns: most overwhelming. We tried different types of music and no one really agreed which was best. Each speaker had its own personality.
-
December 11th, 2004, 03:35 AM
#5
Inactive Member
gpz please let me know your findings after you have given the model 19s a good test. Since you have heard both I am interested in your opinion. Many say the room has a lot less to do with the sound on the 19 vs the Khorn. Let me know what you find.
Thanks
-
December 12th, 2004, 03:28 PM
#6
Inactive Member
well ... i'm moving in a few weeks ... the 19's will be stored 'till then ... i expect the valencis + some more bass = model 19
not the k-horn shake the walls bass, but a more room friendly bass
don't forget the k-h is very room dependent
PWK stated the room should be 27x16x10
the diagonal then would be 32'
the lowest wave the k-h could propagate
my valencis'a certainly can produce some decent low end, but if you sweep the low bass register, below 50 hz, the port contribution starts to be annoying
i expect the 19 to lessen that
-
December 12th, 2004, 03:35 PM
#7
Inactive Member
by room friendly bass, i meant not producing peaks / standing waves, in a less than ideal k-h room ... like one 16x 16 or so
or one with a window next to the horn
both of which i have
people with LaScala's just kill me, putting them in apartment sized rooms
no bass, all horn
Altecs are much more friendly
-
December 12th, 2004, 05:46 PM
#8
Inactive Member
I could not agree more with the Khorn thought. These speakers are more room sensitive than any others. I know my room has some unfavorable nodes. So, is 800 - 1000 a reasonable price?
-
December 13th, 2004, 04:44 AM
#9
Junior Hostboard Member
Found my 19's on ebay a couple of years ago. I got them for 800.00 in mint condition. I thought that was a good deal on them. Drove 800 miles each way to pick them up.
-
December 13th, 2004, 05:06 PM
#10
Senior Hostboard Member
did you see the 19s for sale below -- I would offer a bit less than he wants tho....
that's a normal thing tho...
love my 19s
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks